Winter Week of Wellness!
December 15th – 20th at Casey Health
Give the Gift of Health to Yourself and Others!
- Special Pricing: 5 classes/workshops: $5 each = $25
- Single class or workshop: $10
Monday, 12/15 Community Night
- 5:15 pm – Open Hips, Open Hearts Yoga
- 6:15 pm – Mindfulness through the Holidays
- 6:00 pm – Reiki Energy for the Season
- 11:30 am & 5:30 pm – Yoga: Heart Opening for the Holidays (M. Rhoades)
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm – Stress Less: Set your glow for the holiday season! Stress less by practicing biofeedback, meditation, imagery and more! (A Skowron)
- 9:00 am – Yoga: Rope WallRumpus (R. Delaplaine)
- 10:30 am – Gentle Yoga: Restoring & Reflecting (R Delaplaine)
- 5:30 – 7:00 pm – Light Up Your Inner World with Chakra Balancing for the Season
- 6:00 – 7:15 pm – Yoga & Pilates with Props: Grounding for the Season (L San Gabriel)
- 12:00 & 5:30 pm – Yoga: Meditation in Motion – Flowing with Grace (M Rhoades)
- 5:30 – 7:00 pm – Physicians’ Kitchen: Holiday Fun Without the Bun! Learn ways to enjoy the food of the holidays without regret. Try some new recipes for your own healthy holiday celebration!
- 9:00 am – Yoga: Relax & Breathe Restorative yoga class with basic pranayama breath work (D Braun)
- 9:00 am – Yoga: Rope Wall Rumpus (R Delaplaine)
- 10:30 am – Gentle Yoga: Restoring & Reflecting (R Delaplaine)
Events, Workshops, and Class Registration
- K.O.R.E. – Kettlebells, Oxygen, Resistance, Energy– this new class will involve kettlebells, TRX straps, circuit training, exercise bands and functional fitness to develop strength, balance, flexibility, and core stability. You will build greater cardiovascular endurance, muscle strength, and bone density. The class accommodates each individual’s needs and caters to all levels of experience.
- Physicians Kitchen – Carrie Runde, ND and Nicole Farmer, MD demonstrate easy recipes using healthy fats, antioxidants, nutrients, and metabolism boosters. Participants get to taste their creations and leave with informational materials and recipes to implement at home.
- Mindfulness Meditation – The course focuses on the mindfulness tradition and teachings, and uses mindfulness techniques that attendees can integrate into their lifestyles while cultivating a greater sense of clarity and calm.
- Keep Your Inner Light Shining When the Sun Goes Down – Come join Casey Health’s massage therapist Tammy Godette to learn natural ways to keep you spirits lifted and your mood happy during the long winter months ahead. We sometimes get the winter blues and feel anxious, irritable, sluggish and withdrawn, counting the days till spring returns. There’s another way to do winter! With helpful tips on mood enhancing boosts through self-massage, energy work, dietary changes and change-up of routines, Tammy will send you off with a to-do list of healthy, natural options. Click here to sign up
Therapeutic Lifestyle Program: First Line Therapy (FLT)
This winter we successfully delivered the FLT program to our first cohort of patients, all of whom reached their health goals and perhaps most importantly, regained energy and vitality that has reshaped their lives. We are now planning on offering our second FLT program this fall.
The American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association have recommended therapeutic lifestyle changes for prevention of heart disease, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
First Line Therapy at CHI is ideal if your health goals include:
- Changing your body composition to decrease fat and increase lean muscle
- Adopting a healthier way of eating that will last a lifetime (not fad dieting)
- Using lifestyle to manage chronic diseases like high cholesterol, blood sugar, or blood pressure
- Helping to decrease your risk for heart disease and diabetes
- Adding structured, regular exercise, and healthy nutrition in your daily life
In consultation with your primary care provider, First Line Therapy program works with you to change health behaviors over a three month period by including:
- Individual consultations with a physician and health coach
- Body composition analysis
- Twice weekly to weekly follow up group sessions
- Your personal First Line Therapy Guidebook and First Line Therapy Cookbook
- Nutritional supplements individualized based on your current health status
- A detailed food plan with recipes and structure
- A fitness prescription, customized training in resistance exercise and yoga, and an activity monitor with tracking reports
- Special savings on all Wellness Center programs, including fitness and yoga classes, and workshops in healthy eating and mindfulness meditation
Current pricing for this all-inclusive program is approximately $1,393. Monthly Payment plans are available. (This program is potentially eligible for some flex spending accounts and insurance coverage.)
For more information or to sign up for the FLT Program, please call 301-355-2030
Staff Commentary, Insights and News
Casey Health news and updates about our integrative primary care practice, The Wellness Center, in the form of blog observations from our senior leadership and professional staff, as well as news of interest for the Casey Health community, please click here.
NEW 2014 Wellness Workshops at CHI!
First Line Therapy (FLT) Program
Casey Health had such a successful launch of our Spring FLT Program that we are offering it again! FLT is a therapeutic lifestyle program focused on addressing the causes of ill health. This program is ideal for you if your health goals include: changing your body composition, adding structured, regular exercise and nutrition to your daily life, managing your chronic disease through a healthy lifestyle, adopting healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime, all while under the clinical supervision and support of Casey Health’s health coaches and physicians.
The four week course focuses on the mindfulness tradition and teachings, and uses mindfulness techniques that attendees can integrate into their lifestyles while cultivating a greater sense of clarity and clam.
Back by popular demand! Carrie Runde, ND and Nicole Farmer, MD, give practical information about ‘food-as-medicine’ and nutrition. Dishes include: Date Bon-Bons, Seasonal Sorghum Salad, Mango Lime Sorbet, BLT Lunch Roll-Ups (Bean, Lettuce, Tomato), Pea Guacamole, Sprouted Quinoa Salad, and more! In this interactive workshop participants get to taste their creations and leave with informational materials and recipes to implement at home.
Keep Your Inner Light Shining When the Sun Goes Down
Come join Casey Health’s massage therapist Tammy Godette to learn natural ways to keep you spirits lifted and your mood happy during the long winter months ahead. We sometimes get the winter blues and feel anxious, irritable, sluggish and withdrawn, counting the days till spring returns. There’s another way to do winter! With helpful tips on mood enhancing boosts through self-massage, energy work, dietary changes and change-up of routines, Tammy will send you off with a to-do list of healthy, natural options.
Join Casey acupuncturist and certified Yoga Nidra I-Rest teacher Cory Jecmen to learn about this ancient meditative method of complete relaxation that holistically addresses your physiological, neurological, and subconscious needs. Yoga Nidra unwinds the nervous system by employing a variety of techniques—including guided imagery, meditation and body scanning—to aid relaxation. This gentle technique is especially helpful for those who suffer from stress and its symptoms, sleep interruption, anxiety or the inability to relax. No experience required!
Keeping You Healthy
The Wellness Center at Casey Health Institute partners with our primary care practice to help you not only become well, but to stay healthy! “Wellness” can have many different meanings, but here at Casey, we consider wellness to be a dynamic, rather than a static condition. We feel that wellness it is a process of attaining health in mind, body, and spirit by engaging in positive daily habits, such as exercise, relaxation, sleep, and stress-control, by maintaining good personal and social relationships, and by having a sense of purpose and meaning in your world.
In our state-of-the art facility, we offer a wide range of wellness programming to bolster your health, no matter what its current state. Whether your health is generally good, or you’re dealing with chronic issues, or even if you’re currently in treatment, your overall wellness is of central concern to all of us at Casey Health.
Integrative Health Activities
These therapies, also part of our primary care clinical practice, provide great benefits for enhancing and strengthening overall health and wellbeing, especially when you are feeling fine and want to stay that way.
Our wide range of informative and engaging wellness programs are designed to educate and reinforce key lessons on how individuals and groups can adopt and maintain healthy behaviors. Daily life can present challenges to maintain balance and a sense of wellbeing. Our offerings can help you maintain this balance. We offer Iyengar yoga and other movement and fitness classes; wellness
workshops on topics such as nutrition, mindfulness, stress management, the mind-body connection and healthy lifestyle; and wellness coaching. All of our
offerings are designed to enrich our clients’ experience and support them as they strive to lead healthier, happier lives.
Health Coaching and Wellness Enrichment
Our Wellness coaches help you create customized personal and family wellness plans. They partner with you to provide the support, inspiration and information you need to make lasting change in your health behaviors so you can achieve your health goals. These personalized wellness plans go hand-in-hand with your primary care plans as our providers and practitioners work collaboratively to meet each patient’s needs. Wellness Coaching can be done on an individual or group basis.
In our role as a non-profit community organization, we work with other organizations and groups in our community on projects and partnerships that help to create a local environment favorable to prevention and wellness.
Referrals to our Primary Care Clinical Practice
If you decide that visits to The Wellness Center have not helped with a minor or nagging health issue, and you need more attention, our staff will facilitate a referral to our primary care physicians.
Current Schedule for Wellness Center Classes
For the current schedule of Wellness Center classes and workshops please click here.