Events, Workshops, and Class Registration
- MINDFULNESS MEDITATION SERIES: (Every Tuesday, 5:30 – 7:00 pm, from January 20th – February 10th) This four-week interactive course will teach you mindfulness techniques that you can integrate into your daily life. You will learn how to use mindfulness strategies to: improve your energy level, gain focus and clarity, manage stress and anxiety, and increase enjoyment and quality of life. Whether you are new to mindfulness or well-versed, this series will help you develop the skills to bring mindfulness into your daily life and cultivate a greater sense of mental clarity and calm. Casey Health’s clinical psychologist, Amanda Skowron, PsyD, will lead the series delving into the mindfulness tradition and teachings, and discovering creative ways to incorporate mindfulness into the course of everyday life. Participants will receive a CD of guided meditation as well as informative handouts.
- REIKI FIRST DEGREE CERTIFICATION COURSE: (Wednesday, January 21st, from 4:30-7:00 pm) This course will prepare you to give Reiki treatments to yourself, your loved ones and your pets. This spiritually based energy practice and hands-on technique, helps you build stability and calm. Come learn from Reiki Master Tammy Godette about the healing powers of this popular life-force energy practice.
- PHYSICIANS’ KITCHEN: (Every Tuesday, 5:30-7:00 pm, from January 27-March 3) Physicians’ Kitchen is a six week interactive series on healthy eating and food preparation. Food-as-medicine doctors, Carrie Runde, ND, and Nicole Farmer, MD, are passionate about healthy eating and its powerful effects on the body. They created this series to teach you the basics of whole foods based nutrition with easy to follow recipes that add healthy fats, antioxidants, nutrients, and metabolism boosters to your diet. Weekly topics include: The Skinny on Fats & Oils, The Basics of Healthy Nutrition, Are You Carb Confused?, Protein Power, Vegetables, and Sweeteners. The first part of each workshop is taught in a classroom setting before moving into the kitchen for cooking demos, recipe discussion and sample tastings. Participants leave with materials and recipes for home practice. Some of the recipes included in this session: Lentil Hummus with Celery/Carrot, Buckwheat Oat Soaked Grain Pancakes, Quinoa and Lentil Salad with Caramelize Onions, Veggie Soup, and Almond Fig Truffles.
- BEATING THE WINTER BLUES SERIES: (Every Wednesday, 5:30 – 7:00 pm, from January 28th – March 3rd) This is a six week course that addresses the out-of sorts, fatigued feeling that can arrive with the gloominess of winter. Join this informative series to learn ways to battle the winter blues through natural techniques, from ancient to state-of-the-art. Led by Dr. Amanda Skowron and Tammy Godette, you will experience mediation, yoga, diet, essential oils and plant-based formulas, and more to enhance your mood and sense of well-being, and to lift your spirits and guide you back to balance.
Therapeutic Lifestyle Program: First Line Therapy (FLT)
This winter we successfully delivered the FLT program to our first cohort of patients, all of whom reached their health goals and perhaps most importantly, regained energy and vitality that has reshaped their lives. We are now planning on offering our second FLT program this fall.
The American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association have recommended therapeutic lifestyle changes for prevention of heart disease, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
First Line Therapy at CHI is ideal if your health goals include:
- Changing your body composition to decrease fat and increase lean muscle
- Adopting a healthier way of eating that will last a lifetime (not fad dieting)
- Using lifestyle to manage chronic diseases like high cholesterol, blood sugar, or blood pressure
- Helping to decrease your risk for heart disease and diabetes
- Adding structured, regular exercise, and healthy nutrition in your daily life
In consultation with your primary care provider, First Line Therapy program works with you to change health behaviors over a three month period by including:
- Individual consultations with a physician and health coach
- Body composition analysis
- Twice weekly to weekly follow up group sessions
- Your personal First Line Therapy Guidebook and First Line Therapy Cookbook
- Nutritional supplements individualized based on your current health status
- A detailed food plan with recipes and structure
- A fitness prescription, customized training in resistance exercise and yoga, and an activity monitor with tracking reports
- Special savings on all Wellness Center programs, including fitness and yoga classes, and workshops in healthy eating and mindfulness meditation
Current pricing for this all-inclusive program is approximately $1,393. Monthly Payment plans are available. (This program is potentially eligible for some flex spending accounts and insurance coverage.)
For more information or to sign up for the FLT Program, please call 301-355-2030
Staff Commentary, Insights and News
Casey Health news and updates about our integrative primary care practice, The Wellness Center, in the form of blog observations from our senior leadership and professional staff, as well as news of interest for the Casey Health community, please click here.
Keeping You Healthy
The Wellness Center at Casey Health Institute partners with our primary care practice to help you not only become well, but to stay healthy! “Wellness” can have many different meanings, but here at Casey, we consider wellness to be a dynamic, rather than a static condition. We feel that wellness it is a process of attaining health in mind, body, and spirit by engaging in positive daily habits, such as exercise, relaxation, sleep, and stress-control, by maintaining good personal and social relationships, and by having a sense of purpose and meaning in your world.
In our state-of-the art facility, we offer a wide range of wellness programming to bolster your health, no matter what its current state. Whether your health is generally good, or you’re dealing with chronic issues, or even if you’re currently in treatment, your overall wellness is of central concern to all of us at Casey Health.
Integrative Health Activities
These therapies, also part of our primary care clinical practice, provide great benefits for enhancing and strengthening overall health and wellbeing, especially when you are feeling fine and want to stay that way.
Our wide range of informative and engaging wellness programs are designed to educate and reinforce key lessons on how individuals and groups can adopt and maintain healthy behaviors. Daily life can present challenges to maintain balance and a sense of wellbeing. Our offerings can help you maintain this balance. We offer Iyengar yoga and other movement and fitness classes; wellness
workshops on topics such as nutrition, mindfulness, stress management, the mind-body connection and healthy lifestyle; and wellness coaching. All of our
offerings are designed to enrich our clients’ experience and support them as they strive to lead healthier, happier lives.
Health Coaching and Wellness Enrichment
Our Wellness coaches help you create customized personal and family wellness plans. They partner with you to provide the support, inspiration and information you need to make lasting change in your health behaviors so you can achieve your health goals. These personalized wellness plans go hand-in-hand with your primary care plans as our providers and practitioners work collaboratively to meet each patient’s needs. Wellness Coaching can be done on an individual or group basis.
In our role as a non-profit community organization, we work with other organizations and groups in our community on projects and partnerships that help to create a local environment favorable to prevention and wellness.
Referrals to our Primary Care Clinical Practice
If you decide that visits to The Wellness Center have not helped with a minor or nagging health issue, and you need more attention, our staff will facilitate a referral to our primary care physicians.
Current Schedule for Wellness Center Classes
For the current schedule of Wellness Center classes and workshops please click here.