Events, Workshops, and Class Registration
- MINDFULNESS MEDITATION SERIES: (Every Tuesday, 5:30 – 7:00 pm, from March 10th – 31st) This four-week interactive course will teach you mindfulness techniques that you can integrate into your daily life. You will learn how to use mindfulness strategies to: improve your energy level, gain focus and clarity, manage stress and anxiety, and increase enjoyment and quality of life. Whether you are new to mindfulness or well-versed, this series will help you develop the skills to bring mindfulness into your daily life and cultivate a greater sense of mental clarity and calm. Casey Health’s clinical psychologist, Amanda Skowron, PsyD, will lead the series delving into the mindfulness tradition and teachings, and discovering creative ways to incorporate mindfulness into the course of everyday life. Participants will receive a CD of guided meditation as well as informative handouts.
- DANCE FITNESS CLASS: (Every Monday and Wednesday from 7:30 – 8:30 pm) Come join our newest exercise instructor Julie Hoang for
Dance Fitness! This high-energy workout combines upbeat international music with unique choreographed routines that allow you to dance away your cares and burn from 600 to 900 calories per class. Julie will be leading this exciting cardio workout that we promise will get you hooked! Best of all, you will achieve long-term health benefits from moving that body. Come prepared to sweat! Only $5 per class!!
- PHYSICIANS’ KITCHEN: this six week series focuses on healthy eating and food preparation using seasonal foods. Food-as-medicine doctors Nicole Farmer, MD, and Carrie Runde, ND, are passionate about healthy eating and its powerful effects on the body. They created this series to teach you the basics of whole food nutrition. Each session starts off in the classroom and moves into the kitchen for cooking demos, recipe discussion and sample tastings. Students receive materials and recipes to take home. (This course runs every Tuesday evening from 5:30 – 7:00 pm beginning April 7th – May 12th).
- 4 WEEKS TO BETTER SLEEP: Sleep is often underappreciated for its critical role in the state of our general wellbeing and health. Come to this fascinating series, led by psychotherapist Katherine Wright-Desai to understand more about the essentials of good sleep hygiene, including learning what type of sleeper you are, tips for getting to sleep so you wake up feeling refreshed, and plans for optimal sleep success. Sleep well for life! (This course runs Thursdays from April 16th – May 7th, from 10:00 am – 11:30 am OR 5:45 pm – 7:15 pm).
- BIOFEEDBACK – The High Tech Way to a Low Stress Day! Biofeedback teaches ways to harness to power of your mind to control what’s going on inside your body. By using this proven technique, you can learn to self-regulate your body’s reaction to stress in a positive way so you can relax. Biofeedback can prevent or treat many health conditions, such as headaches, chronic pain, and high blood pressure. Join Dr. Amanda Skowron to learn about biofeedback, alongside other stress management techniques, including deep breathing, guided imagery and mindfulness meditation. (Tuesday, April 14th, from 5:30 – 7:00 pm).
- REIKI SECOND DEGREE CERTIFICATION COURSE: During this second level class, students learn the Reiki symbols and mantras, and their meanings. Students use these tools to focus their healing techniques to affect mental and emotional issues. They will learn to clear negative energy out of rooms and send Reiki distantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Taught by Reiki Master Tammy Godette, this class is part lecture, discussion and direct experience. (Requires completion of Reiki First Degree. Wednesday, April 29th, from 1:00 pm – 7:00 pm).
- ADVANCED MINDFULNESS MEDITATION: this is a NEW four week course that extends the curriculum of our first Mindfulness Series under Dr. Amanda Skowron’s guidance. Topics to be covered include Metta “Loving Kindness” meditation; the practice of the Silent Sit; walking meditations in the Casey Health labyrinth; and Pranayama breath work. Expand your mindfulness toolbox with these practices to achieve deeper peace in your life. (Completion of the Mindfulness Series is required, or approval from the instructor. This course runs every Tuesday from 5:30 – 7:30 pm beginning April 28th – May 19th).
- aCHIeve WEIGHT LOSS 4 LIFE: Our Weight Loss 4 Life program addresses every aspect of an individuals’ s life in order to ensure long-lasting weight loss that is maintained through lifestyle change. Our Naturopathic Doctor, Nutritionist, and Health Coaches will be there to educate, guide, and hold you accountable to the weight loss plan that best suits you. (Begins in May . . . Call the Wellness Center for details!)
Therapeutic Lifestyle Program: First Line Therapy (FLT)
This winter we successfully delivered the FLT program to our first cohort of patients, all of whom reached their health goals and perhaps most importantly, regained energy and vitality that has reshaped their lives. We are now planning on offering our second FLT program this fall.
The American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association have recommended therapeutic lifestyle changes for prevention of heart disease, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
First Line Therapy at CHI is ideal if your health goals include:
- Changing your body composition to decrease fat and increase lean muscle
- Adopting a healthier way of eating that will last a lifetime (not fad dieting)
- Using lifestyle to manage chronic diseases like high cholesterol, blood sugar, or blood pressure
- Helping to decrease your risk for heart disease and diabetes
- Adding structured, regular exercise, and healthy nutrition in your daily life
In consultation with your primary care provider, First Line Therapy program works with you to change health behaviors over a three month period by including:
- Individual consultations with a physician and health coach
- Body composition analysis
- Twice weekly to weekly follow up group sessions
- Your personal First Line Therapy Guidebook and First Line Therapy Cookbook
- Nutritional supplements individualized based on your current health status
- A detailed food plan with recipes and structure
- A fitness prescription, customized training in resistance exercise and yoga, and an activity monitor with tracking reports
- Special savings on all Wellness Center programs, including fitness and yoga classes, and workshops in healthy eating and mindfulness meditation
Current pricing for this all-inclusive program is approximately $1,393. Monthly Payment plans are available. (This program is potentially eligible for some flex spending accounts and insurance coverage.)
For more information or to sign up for the FLT Program, please call 301-355-2030
Staff Commentary, Insights and News
Casey Health news and updates about our integrative primary care practice, The Wellness Center, in the form of blog observations from our senior leadership and professional staff, as well as news of interest for the Casey Health community, please click here.
Keeping You Healthy
The Wellness Center at Casey Health Institute partners with our primary care practice to help you not only become well, but to stay healthy! “Wellness” can have many different meanings, but here at Casey, we consider wellness to be a dynamic, rather than a static condition. We feel that wellness it is a process of attaining health in mind, body, and spirit by engaging in positive daily habits, such as exercise, relaxation, sleep, and stress-control, by maintaining good personal and social relationships, and by having a sense of purpose and meaning in your world.
In our state-of-the art facility, we offer a wide range of wellness programming to bolster your health, no matter what its current state. Whether your health is generally good, or you’re dealing with chronic issues, or even if you’re currently in treatment, your overall wellness is of central concern to all of us at Casey Health.
Integrative Health Activities
These therapies, also part of our primary care clinical practice, provide great benefits for enhancing and strengthening overall health and wellbeing, especially when you are feeling fine and want to stay that way.
Our wide range of informative and engaging wellness programs are designed to educate and reinforce key lessons on how individuals and groups can adopt and maintain healthy behaviors. Daily life can present challenges to maintain balance and a sense of wellbeing. Our offerings can help you maintain this balance. We offer Iyengar yoga and other movement and fitness classes; wellness
workshops on topics such as nutrition, mindfulness, stress management, the mind-body connection and healthy lifestyle; and wellness coaching. All of our
offerings are designed to enrich our clients’ experience and support them as they strive to lead healthier, happier lives.
Health Coaching and Wellness Enrichment
Our Wellness coaches help you create customized personal and family wellness plans. They partner with you to provide the support, inspiration and information you need to make lasting change in your health behaviors so you can achieve your health goals. These personalized wellness plans go hand-in-hand with your primary care plans as our providers and practitioners work collaboratively to meet each patient’s needs. Wellness Coaching can be done on an individual or group basis.
In our role as a non-profit community organization, we work with other organizations and groups in our community on projects and partnerships that help to create a local environment favorable to prevention and wellness.
Referrals to our Primary Care Clinical Practice
If you decide that visits to The Wellness Center have not helped with a minor or nagging health issue, and you need more attention, our staff will facilitate a referral to our primary care physicians.
Current Schedule for Wellness Center Classes
For the current schedule of Wellness Center classes and workshops please click here.