Keeping You Healthy
The Wellness Center at Casey Health Institute partners with our primary care practice to help you not only become well, but to stay healthy! “Wellness” can have many different meanings, but here at Casey, we consider wellness to be a dynamic, rather than a static condition. We feel that wellness it is a process of attaining health in mind, body, and spirit by engaging in positive daily habits, such as exercise, relaxation, sleep, and stress-control, by maintaining good personal and social relationships, and by having a sense of purpose and meaning in your world.
In our state-of-the art facility, we offer a wide range of wellness programming to bolster your health, no matter what its current state. Whether your health is generally good, or you’re dealing with chronic issues, or even if you’re currently in treatment, your overall wellness is of central concern to all of us at Casey Health.
NEW Spring/Summer 2014 Wellness Workshops at CHI!
- K.O.R.E. – Kettlebells, Oxygen, Resistance, Energy– this new class will involve kettlebells, TRX straps, circuit training, exercise bands and functional fitness to develop strength, balance, flexibility, and core stability. You will build greater cardiovascular endurance, muscle strength, and bone density. The class accommodates each individual’s needs and caters to all levels of experience. (Every Tuesday starting May 6th , 6:00 – 7:00 pm).
- Physicians Kitchen – Carrie Runde, ND and Nicole Farmer, MD demonstrate easy recipes using healthy fats, antioxidants, nutrients, and metabolism boosters. Participants get to taste their creations and leave with informational materials and recipes to implement at home. (Every other Tuesday starting May 20th, 5:30 – 7:00 pm for 5 sessions).
- Mindfulness Meditation – The course focuses on the mindfulness tradition and teachings, and uses mindfulness techniques that attendees can integrate into their lifestyles while cultivating a greater sense of clarity and calm. (Every Wednesday starting May 21st, 5:30 – 7:00 pm for 5 sessions).
Please click here to sign up!
Therapeutic Lifestyle Program: First Line Therapy (FLT) Starting in July!
This winter we successfully delivered the FLT program to our first cohort of patients, all of whom reached their health goals and perhaps most importantly, regained energy and vitality that has reshaped their lives. We are now planning on offering our second FLT program this summer.
The American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association have recommended therapeutic lifestyle changes for prevention of heart disease, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
First Line Therapy at CHI is ideal if your health goals include:
- Changing your body composition to decrease fat and increase lean muscle
- Adopting a healthier way of eating that will last a lifetime (not fad dieting)
- Using lifestyle to manage chronic diseases like high cholesterol, blood sugar, or blood pressure
- Helping to decrease your risk for heart disease and diabetes
- Adding structured, regular exercise, and healthy nutrition in your daily life
In consultation with your primary care provider, First Line Therapy program works with you to change health behaviors over a three month period by including:
- Individual consultations with a physician and health coach
- Body composition analysis
- Twice weekly to weekly follow up group sessions
- Your personal First Line Therapy Guidebook and First Line Therapy Cookbook
- Nutritional supplements individualized based on your current health status
- A detailed food plan with recipes and structure
- A fitness prescription, customized training in resistance exercise and yoga, and an activity monitor with tracking reports
- Special savings on all Wellness Center programs, including fitness and yoga classes, and workshops in healthy eating and mindfulness meditation
Current pricing for this all-inclusive program is approximately $1,393. Monthly Payment plans are available. (This program is potentially eligible for some flex spending accounts and insurance coverage.)
Clinical assessments will be done by CHI primary care providers July 14 – 25. Assessments must be completed before the first day of the program.
To learn more about the First Line Therapy Program, please join us for a free informational session on either Monday, June 30th from 6:30-7:30pm or Tuesday, July 8th from 6:30-7:30pm at the Casey Health Institute.
For more information or to sign up for the FLT Program, please call 301-355-2030
All programs of The Wellness Center at Casey Health Institute are open to the public.
Integrative Health Activities
These therapies, also part of our primary care clinical practice, provide great benefits for enhancing and strengthening overall health and wellbeing, especially when you are feeling fine and want to stay that way.
Our wide range of informative and engaging wellness programs are designed to educate and reinforce key lessons on how individuals and groups can adopt and maintain healthy behaviors. Daily life can present challenges to maintain balance and a sense of wellbeing. Our offerings can help you maintain this balance. We offer Iyengar yoga and other movement and fitness classes; wellness
workshops on topics such as nutrition, mindfulness, stress management, the mind-body connection and healthy lifestyle; and wellness coaching. All of our
offerings are designed to enrich our clients’ experience and support them as they strive to lead healthier, happier lives.
Health Coaching and Wellness Enrichment
Our Wellness coaches help you create customized personal and family wellness plans. They partner with you to provide the support, inspiration and information you need to make lasting change in your health behaviors so you can achieve your health goals. These personalized wellness plans go hand-in-hand with your primary care plans as our providers and practitioners work collaboratively to meet each patient’s needs. Wellness Coaching can be done on an individual or group basis.
In our role as a non-profit community organization, we work with other organizations and groups in our community on projects and partnerships that help to create a local environment favorable to prevention and wellness.
Referrals to our Primary Care Clinical Practice
If you decide that visits to The Wellness Center have not helped with a minor or nagging health issue, and you need more attention, our staff will facilitate a referral to our primary care physicians.
Current Schedule for Wellness Center Classes
For the current schedule of Wellness Center classes and workshops please click here.