Events, Workshops, and Class Registration
- DANCE FITNESS CLASS: (Every Monday and Wednesday from 7:30 – 8:30 pm) Come join our newest exercise instructor Julie Hoang for Dance Fitness! This high-energy workout combines upbeat international music with unique choreographed routines that allow you to dance away your cares and burn from 600 to 900 calories per class. Julie will be leading this exciting cardio workout that we promise will get you hooked! Best of all, you will achieve long-term health benefits from moving that body. Come prepared to sweat! Only $5 per class!!
- PHYSICIANS’ KITCHEN: is a four week series on healthy eating, food, prep, and basic whole-foods nutrition. Food-as-medicine practitioners Nicole Farmer, MD, and nutritionist Xonna Clark, are passionate about healthy eating and its powerful effects on the body. Each workshop is taught in the classroom and moves into the kitchen for cooking demos, recipe discussion and sample tastings. Students receive materials and recipes to take home. (Single class fee is $20; Full series is $75. This course runs from Sept. 22nd – Oct. 13th).
- Mindfulness Meditation Series: is a four week course exploring the ways mindfulness meditation can help you manage the stress and anxiety of daily life. The series introduces mindfulness to attendees, highlights the elements of the program, and includes mindfulness meditation exercises. Under Dr. Amanda Skowron’s guidance, you will learn how to incorporate mindfulness into your daily life to encourage greater calm. Participants receive a CD of guided meditations and informative handouts. (class fee is $159. The series runs Tuesdays from 5:30 – 7:00 pm June 16th – July 7th and Sept 22 – Oct 13th).
- ADVANCED MINDFULNESS MEDITATION: this is a NEW four week course that extends the curriculum of our first Mindfulness Series under Dr. Amanda Skowron’s guidance. Topics to be covered include Metta “Loving Kindness” meditation; the practice of the Silent Sit; walking meditations in the Casey Health labyrinth; and Pranayama breath work. Expand your mindfulness toolbox with these practices to achieve deeper peace in your life. (Completion of the Mindfulness Series is required, or approval from the instructor. Advanced Mindfulness Series is offered again every Tuesday from 5:30 – 7:00 pm on Nov. 10th – Dec. 1st).
- STRESS: CAN’T LIVE WITH IT, CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT!: Stress is a “given” in today’s fast-paced, hectic world. We only have to look at the rise of chronic illnesses to see its toll. Yet, without the “good” stress, we may never get out of bed! Join Dr. Amanda Skowron to learn about the short and long term impact stress has and practice effective ways to handle it to maximize your vitality! (October 27th from 5:30 – 7:00 pm. Single class/ $15)
- BEATING THE WINTER BLUES: This three week course addresses that out-of-sorts, fatigued feeling that can arrive with the onset of winter. Join this informative series to learn ways to battle the winter blues through natural techniques, from the ancient to the state-of-the-art. Led by Dr. Amanda Skowron, you will experience meditation, yoga, acupuncture and Reiki, and more to enhance your mood, lift your spirits and guide you back to balance. (Single class/ $40; complete series /$100. This series runs from 10/28 – 11/11/15).
- YOGA SHORT COURSE: BACKS AND HIPS: Tight hips and weak back muscles lead to poor body posture and back pain. In this four week short course, yoga teacher Doerthe Braun will work with students to improve hip mobility and back strength, allowing the spine to extend with freedom. This class is open to all levels of yoga practitioners and those who suffer from back and hip pain. (Single class/ $15, full series/$40. This series runs from 10/5- 10/26/15).
- THERAPEUTIC YOGA: is open to patients who have a therapeutic yoga protocol developed by Mary Pappas-Sandonas. Participants work through their poses under Mary’s supervision. Participation requires Mary’s approval. (Class is 90 minutes. Single class/$25; full series/$100).
- aCHIeve WEIGHT LOSS 4 LIFE: Our Weight Loss for Life program addresses every aspect of an individuals’ s life in order to ensure long-lasting weight loss that is maintained through lifestyle change. Our Naturopathic Doctor, Nutritionist, and Health Coaches will be there to educate, guide, and hold you accountable to the weight loss plan that best suits you.aCHIeve WEIGHT LOSS for LIFE CLASSES: Every Wednesday we offer aCHIeve wellness-based, weight loss classes on a variety of lifestyle topics. These classes are open to the public and occur on a rotating schedule. (Class fee is $15).
- 1st Wednesday – Nutrition for Weight Loss. Nutritionist Xonna Clark discusses the essentials of eating healthy to work towards and maintain your optimal weight.
- 2nd Wednesday – Fitness for Weight Loss. Laurie Williams, our certified health coach and fitness instructor, discusses the importance of balancing cardio and resistance training to lose weight and boost metabolism. You leave with instructions and weekly exercise goals.
- 3rd Wednesday – Mindful Eating for Weight Loss. Dr. Skowron teaches mindful approaches to attaining better mental and physical health. This class covers a mindful approach to eating and will touch on the emotional aspect of food.
- 4th Wednesday – Yoga for Weight Loss. Mary Pappas-Sandonas, our clinical yoga specialist, discusses yoga as a way to achieve a healthy metabolism and body composition, and teaches yoga postures and an at-home practice.
- REIKI SECOND DEGREE CERTIFICATION COURSE: During this second level class, students learn the Reiki symbols and mantras, and study their underlying meanings. Students use these tools to increase and focus their healing techniques to affect mental and emotional issues. They study ways to clear negative energy out of rooms and send Reiki distantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Students receive the Reiki Level II attunement and have hands-on practice. Reiki Master Tammy Godette leads this class of part lecture, discussion and direct experience. (Requires Reiki First Degree Certification. Class fee/ $250. Registration closes 10/9). Class is held on Oct. 16th from 1pm – 7 pm).
- THE ABZzzzz’s OF SLEEP!:Although we spend almost a third of our lifetime doing it, sleep is often underappreciated for its critical role in the state of our general wellbeing and health. Come to this first fascinating lecture, led by psychotherapist Katherine Wright-Desai, to understand more about the theory and essentials of good sleep hygiene. Follow-up with the next two classes to learn effective sleep techniques and strategies, and leave with a personalized plan to handle your specific hurdles to a night full of restful ZZzzzzz. Learn how to sleep well for life! (Single class is $15; Complete series of three classes is $40. This series runs Thursday’s from Oct 1st – Oct. 15th)
- YOGA FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE: CALM UNDER PRESSURE Research shows that yoga is an effective way to lower your blood pressure. This 3 week short course, taught by Mary Pappas-Sandonas, focuses on the sstress-lowering attributes of a regular yoga practice consisting of the physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation to calm the nervous system. Add yoga to your health toolbox to help manage your high blood pressure! (Single class/ $15; full series/ $40. This series runs from 10/1– 10/15/15).
- CHAIR YOGA – TAKE A SEAT!: This is a gentle form of yoga practiced sitting on a chair, or standing by a chair for support. By adapting traditional yoga poses, students can enjoy the many benefits of yoga, such as deepening flexibility, building strength, and reducing stress and pain. A great practice for anyone regardless of age, level of activity or health challenges, join Mary Pappas-Sandonas in this special class for both young and old! (Classes held every Tuesday from 10:00 am – 11:00 am).
- The Cornucopia of Living Well: In the season of the harvest, this three part course helps you find ways to reap the rewards of the life you truly wish to live. Dr. Katherine Wright-Desai leads this brand new course that explores exciting topics such as the latest findings on brain neuroplasticity and the use of positivity to change the way the brain “thinks,” the power of gratitude as a way to see your life as full of abundance, rather than struggling with deprivation, and the real science – and power — behind the Happiness movement in human behavior. Dr. Wright-Desai shares techniques including acupressure, mindful eating, conscious breathing and intentional movement to arm you with tools for living a vibrant and engaged life. The fall is a rich time of reward and bounty – come discover ways to reap the harvest of your own life. (This course is $15/class and $45/series.)
aCHIeve Weight Loss 4 Life Program
Traditional diets that focus on calories don’t offer long term success or greater overall health, and who likes being hungry anyway? Casey Health Institute (CHI) has created a successful weight loss program that focuses on helping you regain your overall health and aCHIeve your ideal weight through integrative lifestyle medicine. Last year we successfully delivered the program to our first two cohorts of patients, all of whom reached their health goals and regained energy and vitality that has reshaped their lives. This new program runs year round and is open to all. Call the Wellness Center for more details.
Unlike traditional weight loss programs that tend to focus on short term weight loss, our three-month clinical weight loss program is based on 4 core components:
- Lifestyle medicine group classes that teach you how to apply the lifestyle medicine changes you will learn into everyday life, identify social struggles you may face when making nutrition and lifestyle choices, and create a weekly plan for success.
- Structured and interactive weekly group sessions led by members of our CHI integrative medicine team so you surround yourself with a community of like-minded people who are on a similar journey towards long-term health.
- On-going integrative medicine clinical oversight and support as you are transitioning into your new healthy lifestyle.
- Weekly experiential classes that will teach you yoga for weight loss, mindful eating, fitness, and real food nutrition.
In addition to these 4 core components, aCHIeve Weight Loss offers:
- Weekly check-ins with a health coach to help keep you motivated and prioritize your goals
- Ongoing body composition analysis, including body fat percentage, to learn more about what is going on under your skin
- A detailed food plan with menus and healthy recipes
- A fitness prescription and an activity monitor to help you become more active
- Targeted and customized nutritional supplementation options
- Access to the CHI Wellness Center’s classes at a special price
We all know that long-term weight loss isn’t as simple as calorie counting and aerobic exercise. It takes a whole-person approach that utilizes the best of integrative medicine. Luckily, that is what the Casey Health team specializes in!
aCHIeve Weight Loss 4 Life Program & Costs
1st 1st month:
- Body Composition Analysis
- Mindfulness CD
- Program Guidebook and Cookbook
- Naturopathic doctor one-on-one visit for dietary recommendations and lab review
- Health coach one-on-one visit for program orientation and goal setting Classes
- Nutrition For Weight Loss Class (1st Wednesday of each month, 5:30-6:30p)
- Fitness for Weight Loss Class (2nd Wednesday of each month, 5:30-6:30p)
- Mindful Eating Class (3rd Wednesday of each month, 5:30-6:30p)
- Yoga for Weight Loss Class (4th Wednesday of each month, 5:30-6:30p)
- Weekly Group Check-in Sessions (every Wednesday, 6:30-7:30p)
- Protein Powder*
- Activity Monitor*
- Cost: $425-$618**
Subsequent Months (months 2+)
- Body Composition Analysis
- Weekly support from health coach
- Integrative program oversight by naturopathic doctor
- Protein Powder*
- Classes: Weekly Group Check-in Sessions (every Wednesday, 6:30-7:30p)
- Cost: $80-$168**
Program Boosters: (optional add-ons to customize the program you need most)
- Yoga Class Discount
- Fitness Class Discount
- Wellness Workshops Discount
- Yoga for Weight Loss DVD
- UltraMeal Protein Bars
- Health Coaching One-on-One Visits
- Naturopathic Doctor One-on-One Visits
*These items are essential to the aCHIeve program. There is flexibility in type and sourcing depending on participant preferences.
**Price range reflective of the flexible nature of some essential items in the program. See above.
1st (This program is potentially eligible for some flex spending accounts)
For More Information About the aCHIeve Weight Loss 4 Life Program, Click Here to Sign Up or call 301.355.2030
Staff Commentary, Insights and News
Casey Health news and updates about our integrative primary care practice, The Wellness Center, in the form of blog observations from our senior leadership and professional staff, as well as news of interest for the Casey Health community, please click here.
Keeping You Healthy
The Wellness Center at Casey Health Institute partners with our primary care practice to help you not only become well, but to stay healthy! “Wellness” can have many different meanings, but here at Casey, we consider wellness to be a dynamic, rather than a static condition. We feel that wellness it is a process of attaining health in mind, body, and spirit by engaging in positive daily habits, such as exercise, relaxation, sleep, and stress-control, by maintaining good personal and social relationships, and by having a sense of purpose and meaning in your world.
In our state-of-the art facility, we offer a wide range of wellness programming to bolster your health, no matter what its current state. Whether your health is generally good, or you’re dealing with chronic issues, or even if you’re currently in treatment, your overall wellness is of central concern to all of us at Casey Health.
Integrative Health Activities
These therapies, also part of our primary care clinical practice, provide great benefits for enhancing and strengthening overall health and wellbeing, especially when you are feeling fine and want to stay that way.
Our wide range of informative and engaging wellness programs are designed to educate and reinforce key lessons on how individuals and groups can adopt and maintain healthy behaviors. Daily life can present challenges to maintain balance and a sense of wellbeing. Our offerings can help you maintain this balance. We offer Iyengar yoga and other movement and fitness classes; wellness
workshops on topics such as nutrition, mindfulness, stress management, the mind-body connection and healthy lifestyle; and wellness coaching. All of our
offerings are designed to enrich our clients’ experience and support them as they strive to lead healthier, happier lives.
Health Coaching and Wellness Enrichment
Our Wellness coaches help you create customized personal and family wellness plans. They partner with you to provide the support, inspiration and information you need to make lasting change in your health behaviors so you can achieve your health goals. These personalized wellness plans go hand-in-hand with your primary care plans as our providers and practitioners work collaboratively to meet each patient’s needs. Wellness Coaching can be done on an individual or group basis.
In our role as a non-profit community organization, we work with other organizations and groups in our community on projects and partnerships that help to create a local environment favorable to prevention and wellness.
Referrals to our Primary Care Clinical Practice
If you decide that visits to The Wellness Center have not helped with a minor or nagging health issue, and you need more attention, our staff will facilitate a referral to our primary care physicians.
Current Schedule for Wellness Center Classes
For the current schedule of Wellness Center classes and workshops please click here.